Monday, November 2, 2009

Meet Elliott


For those of you who may not know, Elliott was born on March 6th of this year. He has been demanding our attention ever since. He weighed 7 lbs. 6 oz. at birth and as babies do he has been getting bigger by the day.

We've had some weird experiences with people. I was surprised at how many would say say "oops!" assuming he was an accident. Do people really get to be 50 years old and not know how this all works? Elliott was an intentional last ditch effort. A couple of weeks ago I was on a run and stopped at a garage sale. I was asking about a high chair and the woman finally said,"Do you need a high chair??". When I responded that I did she tried to cover up her doubt. A while ago, Valerie and Elliott were due for vaccinations so we took them together. Valerie was sitting next to me and Elliott was on my lap. A gaggle of nurses came up to us and one asked,"Is this your first grandchild?" Valerie looked at me like, "Dad, they think he's mine." I turned to the nurse and said,"No, he's my last child." Ruth and I had already thought of all the jokes ourselves so we understand the brouhaha.

The cruel part is accommodating in his car seat with aging backs. I don't know how Ruth carries him as much as she does; I hold him for five minutes and I'm ready for the chiropractor.

He will be 8 months on Friday and has already said his first intentional word. It wasn't mama or dada or bob although he's been saying these for quite some time. He signed the word for "fish". Ruth uses a lot of sign language with the children that she works with since many are non-lingual. She and Elliott were reading a book that has a fish in it that we all often read with him a couple of days ago. Ruth signs fish when they read the book. Elliott clearly signed "fish" with his hand when they came to the fish in the story.

No comments:

Post a Comment