Friday, October 1, 2010

Not Fair

After forty-nine days of not running because of a stress fracture of the second metatarsal in the right foot I ran a little almost every day of September. I only truly ran about three times. Almost every day was a run/walk with beginning runners of high school age on flat suburban streets. Our outings were between 2 and 2.5 miles. The longest they've been able to run without having to walk a bit has been 1/4 in about 3 minutes. The three true runs still were only between 3 and 4 miles and about 10 minute pace. The total for the month was 63 miles; close to 30 of that probably shouldn't even be counted because it was the walking part of those walk/runs.

I had been averaging 45 miles a week May through July so it doesn't seem right that I'm starting to get ACHILLES TENDONITIS IN MY LEFT FOOT! I noticed it a couple of mornings ago upon arising. I discovered my calves and area through the backs of my knees are were very tight. Who would have thought!? I'm hoping that by continuing to keep the mileage low for a little longer and lots of stretching throughout the day I can keep it at bay. Three or four years ago I had it for months and it didn't go away until I stopped running for an extended period of time.

3 comments:

  1. :-( Have you altered your gait at all? Doesn't seem like what you're doing should aggravate anything otherwise.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Three possibilities: Sometimes with the kids the running is at a pace that one could walk faster. I've been wearing an orthotic that keeps the impact away from the forefoot on the fractured foot, and not wearing one in the left shoes. And I have new New Balance which are considered a high mileage trainer.

    I didn't run yesterday and have been stretching and it feels better this morning.

    ReplyDelete
  3. UPDATE: On a run today (without orthotic and at a more normal pace) I realized that I had been favoring the healing foot and running at a slow pace that may have required using different muscles. This combination may have put stress on those muscles that pulled more on the achilles tendon. Things felt good today at a more normal pace, taking unfavored strides, for 5.2 miles. I hope suddenly yanking out the orthotic doesn't lead to PF or anything.

    ReplyDelete