Today was a perfect day for running and I was coming off of three days rest and very little mileage early in the week so it was time to get out. I started with a late morning 3.2 mile run in Vibram Five Fingers pushing Elliott in the Baby Jogger that we spent $175 for used about fourteen years ago for Valerie. We had a $50 tag on it at a garage sale two years ago; it didn't sell and the following month we found out Ruth was pregnant. It is the original model.
I came back to the house, hung out a little, and prepared for a longer outing. I decided to go for two hours. The temperature was in the mid fifties with mostly sunny skies; I could have run all day...well my body tells me different now. I did run for 2 hours and 22 minutes ending up with 12.8 miles. I took along 1/2 liter of water mixed with lime juice concentrate, chia seeds, and blue agave nectar. It was thirst quenching, but I think it was missing electrolytes but two and a half hours on not a hot day wasn't pushing the demand for them.
I ran in Asics Evolutions and found myself a bit uncertain of how to run. Running in the VFFs earlier predisposed me to wanting to run with a mid-foot strike, not to mention that I was having to endure some heel pain, and heel striking was exacerbating the issue.
I tallied my mileage in minimalist shoes/barefoot and traditional running shoes since March 1st and I have run 35% minimalist and 65% traditional. I am going to make an effort to slowly increase the minimalist percentage.
I finished the day with another brief outing with Elliott in the running stroller to bring the day's total to 17.3 miles.
Best Intentions and an Important Guest Race Report
10 months ago
No comments:
Post a Comment