The Mesa Trail runs from Chautauqua Park in Boulder to Eldorado Springs. Of course, it can be run in either direction. I chose to run it in both directions and even in some directions that it doesn't go for an additional unanticipated two extra miles. I started at Chautauqua with my Asics, shorts, and a T-shirt, and a baseball cap. It was a warm day for March 6th. I carried the Vibram Five Fingers in my hands, and they stayed there the entire fifteen miles. I had intended to use them but there was just too much ice and snow and ice cold mud.
I had been reading about Scott Jurek in Runner's World magazine and about Jenn Shelton online before going to bed. I dreamed all night that I was running ultras, so I figured I had to get out for a long rugged trail run. I have the mapmyrun app for the iphone and it shows that most of the trek is around 9% inclines up and down but it doesn't calculate in small enough increments so if I were run an eighth of a mile up a 10% incline and the next eighth of a mile down a 10% incline it would average me out as having run on the flat. There were some sections that looked more suited for the luge and I was thinking that it was about 50/50 in several places that I would fall. I was fortunate in that I took no tumbles.
I had left a water bottle full of Gatorade in the truck. Next time I'll leave the alternative footwear and tote the water. On the return trip from Eldorado Springs I ate snowballs on most of the uphills. I also felt it rather refreshing to store some snow under my cap. I ate some of that too. I expected it to trickle down my face and neck but it seems that maybe it just evaporated.
I have felt beat all afternoon with a sore tendons in the PF area to boot. The fifteen miles took four hours. The highest elevation was about 1200 feet above either end so I had that elevation gain twice and there were several ups and down in some intermediate gullies and ravines. My guess is that I don't run tomorrow, but I could get inspired if the weather is as nice, but surely I'll be closer to home on comfier turf.
Best Intentions and an Important Guest Race Report
10 months ago
No comments:
Post a Comment