Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Sunrise Run (with Elliott images)

I've never been one of those people that start their day off with a run. I like to start the day a little slower than seven miles an hour; I prefer sipping hot coffee and checking out what's going on in the world. Tuesday I noticed that there was a Boulder Trail Runners' run scheduled for 5:30 in the morning. I contemplated getting up for it, thinking that if I got the run out of the way I could dedicate more time to family and household needs, but by the time I was asleep it was 1:30 so I abandoned the notion, that is until I woke up at 4:30 and felt that if I went back to sleep I wouldn't wake up until 9 so I got up for the run.

There were four other male runners at the Dowdy Draw trailhead from BTR but I didn't recognize any of them. We took off up the draw and there was talk of ones plan for the Leadville 100 after not having done it for four years, another spoke of his 2:57 at Boston and another brought up Big Horn and other ultras that he'd done. It sounded like I might be in over my head and that the group would have to wait for me at each junction but I hung with them; we were only running 8 miles not 80. It was easier if they were conversing and I just chugged along inhaling and exhaling.

The route is one of my favorites so I was rather comfortable with what we would be doing. We covered about 7.8 miles in an hour and twenty minutes (11 minutes faster than previous runs of the same loop) with about 1000 feet of elevation. We were back at the parking lot right at 7:00.

It took a while to recover over the course of the day. I think I hadn't hydrated and didn't bring any liquids with me. I also felt as if I had been up partying all night. I puttered around, played with Elliott and slowly I felt as if I had a normal night sleep and had not run.

I guess I've always know the reason I don't like to run early in the day is that the run is then behind me and I'd rather have it to look forward to. A run later in the day also seems to serve as a pick-me-up, so at about 4PM I took Elliott out for a couple of miles in the Baby Jogger.

No comments:

Post a Comment